Qatari crisis geared towards long-term showdown

The stalemate prompted US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to travel to the region to try to mediate an end to the crisis.

A protracted crisis. (L-R) Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Bahraini Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed al-Khalifa attend a news conference in Cairo, on July 5. (Reuters)


2017/07/09 Issue: 114 Page: 1


The Arab Weekly
Mohammed Alkhereiji



London-The stand-off between Qa­tar and four Arab coun­tries opposing its poli­cies in the region seems geared towards continu­ing for a long time and perhaps es­calating to new levels.

After meeting in Cairo on July 5, a month to the day from when the crisis erupted, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt expressed displeasure at Qatar’s response to the list of 13 demands they conveyed to the Doha government.

Qatar’s lack of responsiveness fuelled speculation about steps that could be taken by the four Arab countries. A statement af­ter the Cairo meeting warned that: “All political, economic and legal measures will be taken in the manner and at the time deemed appropriate to preserve the four countries’ rights, security and sta­bility.”

The idea of a secondary boycott of other countries trading with Qa­tar as well as additional economic sanctions were unofficially men­tioned.

The stalemate prompted US Sec­retary of State Rex Tillerson to trav­el to the region to try to mediate an end to the crisis.

The United States has been send­ing mixed signals about its stance in the conflict with President Don­ald Trump leaning in favour of the position of the Saudi-led bloc while the US Department of State and the Pentagon have had more ambiva­lent views, which seemed to reflect the consideration that Qatar hosts the largest US military base in the Middle East.

James Jeffrey, former US ambas­sador to Iraq and Turkey, and Simon Henderson, director of the Gulf and energy policy programme at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said Doha cannot, even in a “worst-case scenario,” count on using its Al Udeid base agreement to call on the United States for help against what it could claim is “a se­curity threat.”

“While US policy in this crisis has been opaque, it almost certainly would not side with Qatar,” they pointed out in an article for the Ci­pher Brief newsletter.

Although Doha’s reply to its neighbours’ demands was not made public, leaks to the Kuwaiti media indicated that Qatar’s rulers dis­missed some of the demands, such as the expelling of Islamic Revo­lutionary Guards Corps elements from its territories, claiming there were none on its soil.

Doha said the demand to reduce diplomatic and economic ties with Iran would be implemented only if the other Gulf countries did the same and that the hosting of a Turk­ish military base was not in conflict with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) charter.

Formed in 1981, the six-country GCC has weathered many storms. But the current stand-off appears to be the GCC’s biggest challenge, with Doha’s membership hanging in the balance. Bahraini Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed al-Khalifa said Qatar’s possible suspension from the GCC would be discussed in the near future during a meeting in Ma­nama. “Decisions like these are very important… They have to be clear and well-studied,” he said.

UAE State Minister for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash previously stated that Qatar needed to “deal seriously with the demands and concerns of the neighbours or a di­vorce will take place.”

Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al- Thani dismissed the possibility of a suspension from the GCC, saying such a decision requires a “consen­sus.”

The GCC crisis broke out June 5 with Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt severing diplomatic and transport ties with Doha, over its al­leged links to extremist groups and Iran. The four countries demand Qatar end its relationship with the Muslim Brotherhood movement and downgrade ties with Iran, among other demands. Qatar de­nies all allegations.


Mohammed Alkhereiji is the Arab Weekly’s Gulf section editor.


As Printed
MENA Now
Editors' Picks

The Arab Weekly Newspaper reaches Western & Arabic audience that are influential as well as being affluent.

From Europe to the Middle East,and North America, The Arab Weekly talks to opinion formers and influential figures, providing insight and comment on national, international and regional news through the focus of Arabic countries and community.

Published by Al Arab Publishing House

Publisher and Group Executive Editor: Haitham El-Zobaidi, PhD

Editor-in-Chief: Oussama Romdhani

Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Dalal Saoud

Senior Editor: John Hendel

Chief Copy Editors: Jonathan Hemming and Richard Pretorius

Analysis Section Editor: Ed Blanche

Opinion Section Editor: Claude Salhani

East/West Section Editor: Mark Habeeb

Levant Section Editor: Jamal J. Halaby

Gulf Section Editor: Mohammed Alkhereiji

Society and Travel Sections Editor: Samar Kadi

Senior Correspondents:

Mahmud el-Shafey (London)

Lamine Ghanmi (Tunis)

Correspondents

Saad Guerraoui (Casablanca)

Dunia El-Zobeidi (London)

Roua Khlifi (Tunis)

Rasha Elass - Thomas Seibert (Washington)

Published by Al Arab Publishing House

Contact editor at:editor@thearabweekly.com

Subscription & Advertising: Ads@alarab.co.uk

Tel 020 3667 7249

Mohamed Al Mufti

Marketing & Advertising Manager

Tel (Main) +44 20 6702 3999

Direct: +44 20 8742 9262

www.alarab.co.uk

Al Arab Publishing House

Kensington Centre

177-179 Hammersmith Road

London W6 8BS , UK

Tel: (+44) 20 7602 3999

Fax: (+44) 20 7602 8778

Follow Us
© The Arab Weekly, All rights reserved