Saudi former minister returns to work as anti-corruption investigation winds down
Many high-profile detainees, including former Minister of Economy and Planning Adel Fakeih and Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, are still being held in Riyadh.
Innocent of all charges. A 2016 file picture shows former Saudi Finance Minister Ibrahim al-Assaf speaking to the media in Riyadh. (Reuters)
2018/01/07 Issue: 138 Page: 4
London - Saudi authorities’ anti-corruption drive appears to be closing as individuals, including a former government minister and members of the royal family, detained in the sweep have appeared in public.
Former Saudi Finance Minister Ibrahim al-Assaf, who had been detained during the anti-corruption investigation, attended the kingdom’s cabinet meeting January 2 in his capacity as minister of state and adviser to the king.
Assaf, who is also on the Saudi Aramco board, was detained because of embezzlement allegations related to the expansion of Mecca’s Grand Mosque, unidentified sources told the Wall Street Journal. Since Assaf’s release, Saudi media outlets reported that, after questioning, the former finance minister was determined to be not guilty.
Before the cabinet meeting, Saudi online news site Sabaq reported that Assaf would return to work after investigators reviewed complaints against him and found him innocent of all charges. An editorial in Saudi daily Okaz stated: “The cabinet session is proof that the pockets of the minister with a white moustache have also proved to be white as well.”
Also seen in public was the former commander of the Saudi National Guard and son of the late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Prince Mutaib bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, who attended a horse racing event with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz.
Numerous media outlets published pictures of the two princes. However, no details were reported regarding Prince Mutaib’s involvement in the investigation or his release.
Saudi authorities last November began a kingdom-wide anti-corruption campaign, holding both average citizens and royalty accountable. Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud issued a royal decree forming an anti-corruption task force with the jurisdiction to “investigate, issue arrest warrants, travel bans and freeze accounts and portfolios,” a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency said.
More than 200 individuals, including members of the royal family, former ministers and high-profile businessmen, were arrested in the culmination of a 3-year investigation.
Saudi authorities leading the investigation negotiated settlements with some detainees and said that those held on corruption charges would be required to return misappropriated funds. Some suspects would have to turn over as much as 70% of their wealth, the Financial Times reported.
Most of those arrested agreed to settle to avoid further prosecution. The settlements totalled an estimated $50 billion-$100 billion, which was to be channelled into economic development projects.
“The committee has followed internationally applied procedures by negotiating with the detainees and offering them a settlement that will facilitate recouping the state’s funds and assets and eliminate the need for a prolonged litigation,” the public prosecutor said in a statement.
Many high-profile detainees, including former Minister of Economy and Planning Adel Fakeih and Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, are still being held at the Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh.